Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Monday, March 19, 2012

Minum: Malaysian & Café, Martin Place, Sydney (6, 9, 10 Feb 2012)

38B Martin Place, Sydney NSW 2000


Malaysian with an identity crisis

On the surface I think Minum isn't doing themselves any favours with the abundance of ‘Map Italian Coffee’ signs plastered around the cafe if they want to promote their Malaysian cuisine — I seriously thought the place was called Map Italian Coffee but it’s the coffee beans they use. My work colleague noticed they had introduced a Malaysian tapas menu and daily specials so I was tempted to check them out. On the first visit my expectations were so low that I actually questioned myself and the owner Penny why I would bother trying their laksa. Seeing hardly anyone dining, the higher price and the strong feeling it was more a coffee cafe certainly played on my mind. Finding out they make their own laksa from fresh ingredients on the day was the deciding factor to try it and I’m glad I did. My decent sized Combination Laksa ($13.80) had good depth of flavour with decent sized deveined prawns. The chicken that was fairly moist and there was a good selection of fishcake, tofu and even boiled egg. With a bit of requested fresh lime to squeeze on top it became one of the better laksas I’ve had in the CBD. Providing table service with nicer décor than a food court might justify the higher price for some.

The second visit brought me back to try more of their daily menu specials. The Beef Rendang ($12.80) could have been a bit more tender and wetter for my liking but had good flavour. I would have enjoyed a few slices of cucumber and tomato to help cut through the heaviness of the dish but I guess that wouldn’t be authentic. The Nasi Lemak ($13.80) came with coconut rice, boiled egg, pickled veg and chicken curry devil. I really enjoyed the eggs with chilli and I would have liked a bit more sambal or curry sauce on the dish for extra moisture. On my third visit I arranged with a few bloggers to try the Malaysian tapas so we had a chance to try a few things. Overall I preferred the daily specials menu but there were a few tapas I enjoyed more than others. I didn’t mind the tasty Roti ($2.80) but it was served flat and I much prefer the flakey puffed version of Mamak.

I quite liked the flavour of the Slow Braised Pork Marinated in Five Spice ($13.60, 2 serves) but it seemed to be a small portion for the price and I enjoyed the Butter Lemongrass Prawns ($15.60, 2 serves) with nice flavours and decent sized prawns but again pricey. The Lamb Cutlets with Spiced Coconut Crusts ($9.80) was tender and flavoursome as hoped but the coconut wasn’t working for me and made it a bit dry on the palate. I liked the Roti Jala ($7.80) of lacy crepe served with chicken curry which was more a dish to enjoy on its own perhaps but I haven't had it before and it seems looking at examples online the crepe should preferably be more net-like in presentation. Desserts were well-liked with Black Rice Pudding ($5.80) and Sago & Palm Sugar Pudding ($6.80) being served in martini glasses to add a little bit of class. The Grilled Pineapple with cinnamon ($2.80 per skewer) was sweet and tasty and would have gone nicely with some ice cream, perhaps pandan or coconut flavour. The Affogato ($4.50) might be one of the cheapest you’ll find in the CBD and it was pretty decent. For those dining in let Penny share her amazing talent for creating latte art of a face, your name or for those not offended a nude woman — no offence taken.

SNAPSHOT REVIEW:
PROS: Laksa made from scratch with quality ingredients, Table service, Seating available away from the noise of a busy food court, Only having one dish of the day means they strive to do it well
CONS: You wouldn’t really know they served Malaysian dishes due to all the coffee signage — mixed messages, A bit pricier than you’re usual eateries, Kitchen service would be preferably quicker
MUST TRY: Laksa, Boiled eggs with chilli, Grilled pineapple with cinnamon (if they included ice cream), Requesting coffee art for your dine-in latte

Visited 6 Feb 2012
Chicken Laksa ($10.80)
WORTH TRYING :-)

Combination Laksa ($13.80)
SIMON FAVOURITE :-)

A bit of fresh lime does wonders for the palate

Visited 9 Feb 2012
Beef Rendang served with coconut rice ($12.80)

Nasi Lemak with coconut rice, boiled egg, pickled veg and chicken curry devil ($13.80)

Loved the boiled eggs with chilli

Visited 10 Feb 2012
Lychee drink ($5.50), Coconut drink ($5.50), Grass Jelly drink ($5.50)

Roti ($2.80)

Tofu Sambat: Grilled Stuffed Tofu with Crunch Cucumber & Sweet Chilli Sauce ($8.80)

Tamarind Chilli Potatoes ($6.80)

Malaysian Satay Chicken ($8.80, plus extra stick $2)

BBQ Pork - Slow Braised Pork Marinated in Five Spice ($13.60, 2 serves)

Udang Serang Mentega: Butter Lemongrass Prawns ($15.60, 2 serves)


Otak Otak: Grilled Fish infused in Malaysian Spices ($8.80)

Lamb Cutlets with Spiced Coconut Crusts ($9.80)

Roti Jala - Lacy Crepe served with Chicken Curry ($7.80)

Pulut Hitam: Black Rice Pudding ($5.80), Sago Gula Melaka: Sago & Palm Sugar Pudding ($6.80)
WORTH TRYING :-)

Sago Gula Melaka: Sago & Palm Sugar Pudding ($6.80)

Pulut Hitam: Black Rice Pudding ($5.80)

Grilled Pineapple with cinnamon ($2.80 per skewer)



Affogato ($4.50)

Flat white with latte art face

Latte art with nude woman

– – –

Weekly specials menu (may change)

Malaysian tapas menu

Dessert and drinks menu

Cutlery and table setting

Takeaway coffee special after 12 pm — pretty cheap


Owner Penny (right) and her mum Sandra with the Malaysian tastebuds

Richard Elliot, Cupcakie Dolly, Cats Love Cooking and Me

Inside seating

Opening hours

Shopfront — I can easily see 'Map Italian Coffee' promoted but not 'Minum'

Stairs down to Minum from Martin Place

No comments:

Post a Comment